Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mexican food invites flavor and texture, both of which this salad gives in great abundance. For the dressing: The stronger the better – Smoky Chipotle- Balsamic, Chorizo, Roasted Garlic, Pickled Jalapeno, Lime-Cilantro. For this salad, I like the Lime-Cilantro which gives a tangy taste. I also cheat and add sliced raw red onions and sometimes crisp bacon pieces.
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) packageasadero mexican cheese, sliced
- fresh basil leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
For the Lime-Cilantro Dressing
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Tear leaf lettuce into large pieces; arrange on a large serving platter or individual salad plates. Arrange tomato and cheese slices on lettuce, overlapping and alternating slices. Tear basil leaves and scatter over tomatoes and cheese. Season with ground pepper and pass Lime-Cilantro Dressing.
- For the Lime-Cilantro Dressing:.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Spoon over salad.
Like all of Witch Doctor's recipes, this is marvellous. The dressing is superb over a fairly simple salad enhanced by fresh basil, the best tomtoes you can find, and a lovely cheese. I used a European cheese substitute, Fontina, with a small scraping of parmesan. Very fresh tasting!