Recipe by HippieChef
(The recipe calls for moong dal and masoor dal but just about any lentil will do)
- 3⁄4 cup dry masoor dal
- 3⁄4 cup mung dal (red lentils, yellow lentile)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, etc
- 16 ounces firm tofu, cut into small cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dry lentils into boiling vegetable broth with tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 25- 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion, pepper and garlic with spices until softened. Add to lentils.
- Simmer for 20- 25 minutes.
- Wipe out saute pan, add a little oil and sautee tofu for five minutes, then add corn and saute for another 5 minutes -- add to soup.
- Serve hot!
- Great garnished with lowfat sour cream.