Recipe by HerbGal
Super easy recipe that is great for vegetarians to join in a fish meal without looking like we're eating something too different. My fish-eating partner said it had a kind of white fish flavour that combined well with the crunchy coating.
Top Review by Sharon123
I really enjoyed eating this with tartar sauce! I used a mixture of wheat germ and flax seed meal For the dried herbs I used homemade Recipe #189447. I used panko breadcrumbs. Thanks for posting!
- 500 g firm tofu
- 1 egg substitute, vegan egg replacer powder equivalent to 1 egg (or 1 tbsp arrowroot, 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp soy milk 1 tsp lecithin mix together till smooth)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ or 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄4 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons nori, toasted and crumbled (seaweed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup frying oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tofu into ½ cm thick slices. Wrap the slices in thick paper towels and pat to remove excess moisture.
- Beat the egg replacer and soy sauce together in a small bowl. Combine the wheat germ/flax meal, polenta, nori, paprika, and herbs on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large frypan. Dip each slice of tofu into the egg replacer mixture, then coat both sides in the polenta mixture. Fry the slices until golden brown on both sides. Place on absorbent paper. Sprinkle with extra lemon pepper and serve with tartare sauce.