Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adopted from The New Now and Zen Epicure cookbook. You can add more miso, tomato paste, tahini to your taste.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb tofu, frozen, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons miso
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Saute the onions, mushrooms, and celery in a tablespoon of oil until tender.
- Shred the defrosted tofu into little bits, and mix with the vegetables, garlic, soy sauce, miso, and tomato paste.
- Thin tahini with 3 or 4 tablesppons of water to produce a smooth, thick white sauce that will bind the mixture. Add it to the tofu and vegetable mixture, mix well, and add the bread crumbs and parsley. The mixture should be moist but not too wet and firm enough to form into patties.
- Cook in a lightly oiled pan over low heat until browned on both sides. Don't cover while cooking or some of the chewiness will be lost.