This is a great appetizer, or pupu as they call them in Hawaii. Serve a platter of this with toothpicks. Decrease the amount of red pepper if you want it less spicy. This comes from Pupus, an Island Tradition by Sachi Fukuda. This makes about 4-6 appetizer servings
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 ounces tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 green onions, cut into 1 inch lengths
- Combine hoisin sauce, vinegar, water, sugar, ginger and cornstarch and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add tofu cubes and stir-fry about 2 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; stir-fry garlic and shrimp for 2 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; add green onion and hoisin sauce mixture and red pepper and cook, stirring until thickened and shrimp turns slightly pink, about 3 minutes; add tofu and combine well but stirring very gently so as not to break up the tofu cubes.
Woww...This is really yummy dish. My kids and I really loved it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm using japanese tofu for this this recipe and I deep fried the tofu (coated with a bit of cornstarch) first before added to the sauce and shrimps.
I made this last night for the first time, and I loved it. I added oyster mushrooms to the first cooking step, and liked them. Very easy, though I found the timings were a bit off (my shrimp was cooked before I added the hoisin sauce), but continued to cook through and it was delicious. I made myself stop after one bowl so I'd have left-overs for tonight!
This was such an excellent quick tasty dinner! I tossed the tofu cubes in a little cornstarch to help them get a crispy edge before stir frying but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Will definitely be making this again! Thanks!