Prep 15 mins
Cook 19 mins
there is no doubt that this cookie has total crunch..when I crush the candy bars, I leave them in their wrappers when I pound them with a hammer or meat pounder..I use Heath or Skors bars
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed chocolate-covered toffee bits
- 1 cup walnuts, broken in large pieces
- position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- preheat the oven to 350*.line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- in a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together.set aside.
- in a large bowl, whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar,brown sugar, and vanilla till smooth -- about 30 seconds.
- use a large spoon to stir in the flour mixture.the dough should look smooth.
- stir in the crushed toffee and walnuts. the dough will look crumbly.
- leaving a 1-1 1/2 " border empty on all sides.spoon the dough onto prepared baking sheets.
- press the dough into a rectangle that measures about 13x9" and is about 1/2" thick -- then use the palms of your hands to make it into an even layer.
- bake until the top feels firm and looks dark golden and the edges look light brown, about 19 minutes.
- let the cookie brittle cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then use a large metal spatula to transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
- don't worry if the cookie breaks, it will be broken into pieces when cool.the cookie will become crisp as it cools.
- break the cooled cookie into 4-5" pieces.
- the cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days.