This recipe came from The Harmony House Inn, New Bern, NC and RSVP of Bon Appetit Magazine.
Make and share this Toffee Bar Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) chocolate-covered english toffee bars, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Beat first 5 ingredients in large bowl on low speed using electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer 1/2 cup butter-sugar mixture to medium bowl; mix in toffee and pecans.
- Set aside.
- Stir baking soda into remaining butter-sugar mixture in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla, beating until just combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish.
- Sprinkle toffee topping evenly over batter.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely in baking dish.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Makes 16 squares.