Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from The Harmony House Inn, New Bern, NC and RSVP of Bon Appetit Magazine.
Make and share this Toffee Bar Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) chocolate-covered english toffee bars, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Beat first 5 ingredients in large bowl on low speed using electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer 1/2 cup butter-sugar mixture to medium bowl; mix in toffee and pecans.
- Set aside.
- Stir baking soda into remaining butter-sugar mixture in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla, beating until just combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish.
- Sprinkle toffee topping evenly over batter.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool completely in baking dish.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Makes 16 squares.
Now THIS is how you make coffee cake! Simply saying this is delicious would be an insult. Eating it warm is indescribable. This recipe is SERIOUSLY good.
i have the recipe from the Plain jane thril of everything fattening cookbook and i LOVE it!! i add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips to the cake batter, but everything is the same. terrific recipe, wonderful cake!
Fantastic, over the top, prior to baking, I sprinkled Demerara Sugar that I purchased from King Arthur Flour, it gave it a wonderful extra sugar-y crunch. I also placed the toffee bars in the freezer for a half hour or so, than whacked them in the wrappers on the countertop so I didn't have to cut them. Thank You Bev, this was awesome!