Coffee Glazed Coffee Cake
This is from an older Maxwell House cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup Post Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
EASY COFFEE GLAZE
- 2 tablespoons cold brewed coffee
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix cereal with 1/2 cup sugar, the instant coffee and cinnamon.set aside.
- Mix flour with 1 cup sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Add sour cream, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Blend at low speed of electric mixer, then beat 1 minute at medium speed.
- Spread one third of the batter in a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the cereal mixture.
- Repeat layers and top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan. Spread with easy coffee glaze.
To prepare glaze:
- Gradually blend 2 tablespoons cooled brewed coffee into 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar till smooth.
- Makes enough to glaze top of 8 to 9-inch square or 10-inch tube pan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I had some Grape Nuts left over from another recipe so I decided to use them up in this one. We thought the cake was very moist and flavorful and we really liked the glaze. I honestly think I'd like it better with nuts in place of the Grape Nuts though. They seemed to have an "off" taste for the rest of the coffeecake. I made it as written even though I've never heard of mixing ingredients in that order before. It worked great. The cake was very high and moist. One problem was the directions call for cinnamon but there was none listed in the ingredients. I guessed and used 1/2 tsp. which seemed to work fine. The only thing I changed was I cut the glaze in half. I am really glad I did since that amount covered the cake really well. I used half of the powdered sugar but I did need all of the cold coffee to make it the right consistency. The cake was great with a cup of coffee or a glass of cold milk! Thanks for sharing!