Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
This is a classic Romanian dish in the winter time. It is most commonly served in December when people have butchered a pig and want to cook the fresh meat. It is still great with meat from the supermarket though. Serve this with mamaliga which is a Romanian cornmeal mush like polenta.
- Place the pork and the water in a large pot. Cover the pot and begin to cook over medium low heat.
- Stir occasionally, making sure that the meat doesnt burn. Cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add the onions, wine, and tomato paste. Lower heat and cook for about a half hour, or until pork is tender and onions are soft.
- Add all of the seasonings except for the garlic. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for five minutes and serve. Great with mamaliga/polenta.