Top Review by Kikimony
I could not find the toblerone chocolate but I substituted with another brand (threw my paper away and forgot). What an easy and delicious dessert! I used an icing bag and tip and made the extra meringue, which is a must :-) I served with strawberries and bananas and we really enjoyed this! Presents beautifully! Perfect to accompany a romantic dinner!
- 7 ounces toblerone bittersweet chocolate (two 3.52-ounce bars)
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- carambola, sliced (star fruit, available seasonally at specialty produce markets)
- red seedless grapes or green grape
- dried apricot
Directions See How It's Made
- In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt the chocolate with the cream, stirring, remove the bowl from the pan, and let the mixture cool while making the meringue.
- In another metal bowl combine the whites and the sugar, set the bowl over a saucepan of hot but not simmering water, and stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- With a hand-held electric mixer beat the meringue for 5 minutes, or until it holds glossy stiff peaks and is warm to the touch.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and continue beating the meringue until it is cool.
- Transfer 1 cup of the meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a small decorative tip, fold the remaining meringue into the chocolate mixture gently but thoroughly, and divide the mousse among 6 small dishes.
- The mousse may be made 4 hours in advance and kept covered at room temperature or it may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and allowed to come to room temperature.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil pipe the remaining meringue into 2-inch strips and bake the strips in the middle of a preheated 300°F.
- oven for 15 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- Let the meringues cool on the baking sheet and peel them from the paper.
- The meringues may be made 2 days in advance and kept in an airtight container.
- Serve the meringues and fruit for dipping into the mousse fondues.