Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great summery salad full of fresh tastes. Makes enough for a crowd. From Cooking Light, June 2007.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup snow peas, cut diagonally
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped seeded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Toast quinoa in a medium sauce pan, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of water to the pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Fluff with a fork and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa and peas, mozzarella, onion, cucumber, mint, basil, and tomatoes.
- Whisk lemon rind, juice, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Toss with quinoa mixture to coat.
I followed this recipe exactly except used a larger quantity of the peas & cucumbers (had so many from the garden). At first it was VERY tart for my taste. I recommend adding tablespoon or so of Agave nectar or other sweetener to the dressing- after that it was absolutely wonderful. Perfect for a hot day. Thanks for the recipe!