Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
One of my favorite salads served up as a toasted sandwich.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 fresh basil leaves, rinsed
- 1 -2 tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick, firm works best
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Place 2 slices, oil side down, on a baking sheet and layer with basil leaves, tomato slices, and mozzarella slices. Salt and pepper to taste and then top with remaining bread slices, oil side up.
- Broil 6 inches from heat, turning once during cooking, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes total. Serve immediately.
Oh lovely gooey mozzarella with vine ripened tomato and fresh from the garden basil and toasted in the sandwich press (so did not use oil) - great lunch, thank you Debbwl, made for Make My Recipe - Spring.
I cheated a bit and used regular white sandwich bread. That's the only bread I had and wanted to do it for lunch. I used fresh basil and fresh tomatoes from my garden. The taste was great even with this bread. Thanks Debb :) Made for PRMR tag game
This was an amazing sandwich! Used fresh sourdough bread and it was sooo good! I wish I had a better picture, and my camera is going out and it's irritating! I will definitely make this again for sure! Made for Photo Tag 2010.