Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This sausage and bread dish is a slight variation of a recipe I found in a "one pot cooking" cookbook.
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, canola...)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Mix flour, egg (beaten), salt, milk and herbs to make batter.
- I usually use basil and bay but it is up to you.
- If the sausage is peppery or has a strong sage flavor you may want to use less herbs in the batter.
- Cook sausage until done either in skillet or in a flameproof casserole dish on stove.
- Place sausage in casserole dish (if not already there) and add batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bread rises.
Good as a solid recipe for Toad in the Hole however was quite bland on its own. I added onions, mushrooms and lots of extra herbs/spices, its definitely something open to lots of experimentation
I cut back on the sausages but made the batter as stated in the recipe & followed the instructions. I was disappointed that it didn't puff more - It had a heavier consistency that I am used too however I did enjoy it hence the 4 stars. I used Italian herb blend. Nice flavor
I've had this recipe printed out for a while, but just got around to making it. It will definitely be a breakfast staple at our house now. Easy to throw together and great served with some dill scrambled eggs. My sausage was spicy, so I only added salt and pepper to the batter and that worked fine. It has a great crispy crust. Would also be great with some country gravy served over the top!