Recipe by steve jolly
This sausage and bread dish is a slight variation of a recipe I found in a "one pot cooking" cookbook.
Top Review by Frog154
Good as a solid recipe for Toad in the Hole however was quite bland on its own. I added onions, mushrooms and lots of extra herbs/spices, its definitely something open to lots of experimentation
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, canola...)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Mix flour, egg (beaten), salt, milk and herbs to make batter.
- I usually use basil and bay but it is up to you.
- If the sausage is peppery or has a strong sage flavor you may want to use less herbs in the batter.
- Cook sausage until done either in skillet or in a flameproof casserole dish on stove.
- Place sausage in casserole dish (if not already there) and add batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bread rises.