Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The most fiendishly addictive snack mix I've ever had! You can pump up the red pepper if you like; I like it just like this, however. And, you can "mix up" the nuts a bit, but I like those salty Spanish peanuts and some almonds, perhaps even Smokehouse almonds. Make a big batch for your next party; you can't stop eating it!
- 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into 1 inch pieces (I like to use small Tostitos and break them in half)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Crispix cereal or 1 1⁄2 cups Corn Chex
- 4 -5 cups popped popcorn
- 6 ounces nuts, of choice (I like Spanish peanuts and almonds)
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Combine tortilla chips, cereal, popcorn and nuts in a large roasting pan.
- (Lining the pan with foil first helps the clean-up later--).
- Combine corn syrup, butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Pour over the cereal-popcorn mixture in the pan; stir to coat thoroughly.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a sheet of waxed paper to cool.
- will keep in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.
I made this recipe yesterday for a New Year's Eve party. I followed the directions exactly and followed the suggestions from the poster. It was easy to make and turned out well. However, I was not overly impressed with the taste. I thought it was OK. A couple of the people at our party ate it and said it was good, but there was a lot left over. Since I really didn't care for the taste of it, I ended up giving the rest away. Thanks for sharing, but I probably will not make again.
This is fantastic! I made a triple batch for a small party. I thought I would have some left-over to enjoy. They ate it ALL! I will definately make this again.
This stuff IS addicting! Probably one of the tastiest snack mixes I have tried... sweet, salty, spicy, crunchy... yummy!! I made this for my 2013 Superbowl party but ended up eating a lot of it myself! I will definitely make this again.