Alton Brown's White Trash
photo by HokiesMom
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 16 ounces M&M's plain chocolate candy
- 2 1⁄2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 2 cups small pretzels
- 2 (11 ounce) packages white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli brand preferred)
- Dump the cereals, M&Ms, nuts & pretzels in a large bowl.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a double boiler. Melt very slowly, stirring occasionally, being careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Dump melted chocolate over the rest of the ingredients and fold over and over until you have well-coated hunks and chunks.
- Spread the whole mess out on parchment paper and set in a cool place until it sets up, then break it into pieces.
- Store in zip-top bags or air-tight containers.
Love This! Make this every Christmas now, easier than baking cookies and my family looks forward to it. I use 3 bags of the Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips and it comes out so much better. I also add the Holiday M&M's last so they don't melt. Going to try cranberries and cashews in a batch or two. Will let you know how it comes out!
one word....F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.!!!! i did cut back on the amount of cereals, so as to let it be more white chocolatey! Also, I used Crispex cereal instead of the Chex ones.....I think with this recipe you could really play around with it and try different kinds of cereals and also other candies like Reese's peices instead of the M&M's. I'm sure I'm going to make this again and again!
Oh very good. I loved using up all my old cereal for this tasty treat. I made this with my kids, and they loved it. We did omit the nuts and bumped up the amount of pretzels instead. I have to say that white chocolate can be a real pain to melt with, but it was really worth it. I think I will do it in the microwave next time, or try it with milk chocolate. Made and Reviewed for Zaar Cookbooks Tag - Thanks! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have a degree in archaeology from a small Ohio college and I work for the Ohio History Connection. My passions are art, music, books, food, history, and cats/animal welfare. I also love photography. I have a 1,000 (plus) piece collection of vintage flower pins from the 1960's, hence the username ha. I also have small collections of vintage butterfly pins, vintage tablecloths, and vintage glass Christmas ornaments. (Can you tell I love vintage?) I took a trip to the Netherlands in March 2006 and fell in love! I doubt it will happen but if I ever have the opportunity I would love to live there.