Recipe by echo echo
Storing here to make later. Made by winning chef Katie Hagen-Whelchel in the "Cooking Under Fire" contest on TV. The preparation time shown does not include 1 hour chilling time.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot over medium-low heat, bring cream to a simmer (DO NOT LET BOIL!).
- Remove from heat and add thyme; let steep several minutes, then discard thyme.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar about 3 minutes until thick and pale yellow.
- Very, very gradually whisk the hot cream into the yolk-sugar mixture. DO NOT ADD HOT CREAM QUICKLY OR IT WILL COOK THE EGGS.
- Distribute custard between 4 (6-oz) ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a shallow baking pan and fill pan with hot tap water to halfway up sides of ramekins, being careful not to let water splash into custards.
- Bake at 325F approximately 35 min until custards are just set around the edges with slightly jiggly centers.
- Remove from oven and let ramekins cool in the water bath 10 min, then chill custards in the fridge at least an hour.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbs sugar over each custard.
- Hold a kitchen torch 2 inches above each custard until sugar browns and forms a crust.
- Serve immediately.