Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
The original recipe from the first edition 1963 Betty Crocker cookbook. This is a family favorite to make every Christmas. Nut-rich...the thumb dents filled with a sparkling jelly. Putting on here for safe keeping.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gold metal flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
- jelly or tinted confectioners sugar icing
- Heat oven to 350°F (mod).
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla thoroughly.
- Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting.
- Blend together flour and salt; stir into shortening mixture.
- Roll dough into balls (1 teaspoons per ball).
- Beat egg white slightly with fork.
- Dip balls in egg white. Roll in nuts.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet; press thumb gently in center of each.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until set. Cool.
- Fill thumbprints with jelly or tinted icing.