Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Yes, here I am back with yet another soup recipe that keeps me going and is quick as a snap to throw together and leave to cook. This is not fancy food but makes it easier for me to eat and not have to think a great deal about it being alone. c.2007
- 1 (10 ounce) bagangel hair coleslaw mix or 1 (10 ounce) bagregular coleslaw mix
- 1 (28 ounce) canimported crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2⁄3 cup long grain white rice, raw
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Reserve 1 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- Place remaining ingredients into crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving, add the remaining lemon juice.
I can't believe I forgot to review this wonderful soup, especially since it's become one that I turn to quite often on those busy winter days when we want something hot and filling without alot of prep. I do add some chopped smoked ham and it gives it a wonderful smoked flavor, but it's excellent on it's own as well. I usually serve it with cheddar cheese muffins or cornbread.
Had some cabbage on hand that I needed to use up, so I used this recipe. Wow! What a surprise! Yummy and filling at the same time. Anti-cabbage husband even had seconds and said that he'd be all for me making it again.
very nice soup. had to make 2 changes; one; used savoy cabbage as that is all the store had and two; i bought chicken stock in error so used that. easy enough to put together; short list of ingredients and the taste was very nice. not a heavy soup but filling and satisfying. when i make this again however, i will follow the recipe and use the coleslaw mix or regular cabbage. thanks for sharing