Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This pie can be baked using a 9 or 10-inch deep-dish pie crust in place of the puff pastry crust but it will not be as flakey! Make certain to cook the spinach in boiling water for about 8 minutes before using in this recipe, it will remove any bitterness to the spinach.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach (cooked and hand-squeezed very dry)
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- cayenne pepper (to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt, to taste or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers (drained and chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Unfold pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a 13-inch square.
- Place in a lightly greased 9-inch deep-dish pie plate; fold edges under then crimp.
- Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to make the pastry firmer.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for 12 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Cook the spinach in boiling water for about 8 minutes; drain, cool then squeeze out any excess moisture with hands.
- In a bowl combine the spinach, whipping cream, eggs, salt, pepper and cayenne; mix well to combine.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and chopped onion into the bottom of the pastry shell, then top with the spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese on top of the spinach mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a 350°F oven for about 50-55 minutes or until set.
- Let stand for about 30 or more minutes before slicing (don't attempt to slice before the 30 minutes or it will run all over!).