Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the book, A Little Vietnamese Cookbook
- 6 tomatoes
- 8 ounces pork, minced
- 4 tablespoons water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons oil
- Cut each tomato into two and scoop out most of the pulp, leaving a firm case.
- Place each half upside down on paper towels to drain.
- Combine all other ingredients and mix well.
- Fill tomato halves with mixture and pat it down firmly.
- Heat oil in skillet and put in tomatoes, stuffed side down.
- Cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are just soft, but not mushy.
- Remove and put on an oven safe plate, stuffed side up.
- Put under broiler for 10 minutes until pork chars a little.
- Serve garnished with a sprig of fresh coriander.
This was my favorite dish when I was younger. I usually add num meo (tree/wood ear fungus/mushroom) and mien (glass mung bean noodle threads), in addition to the minced pork.