Recipe by Daehder
This is the basic recipe for 1 dozen cookies….you will want to make waaay more than that though. Obviously you can use any kind of jam you like, but after years of experimenting I have found these to be the absolute best. I listed 2 kinds because when you are making lots it looks pretty to have the different colours. I also recommend that if you have a dainty tea service spoon to use that for filling with jam…it’s much neater.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- walnuts, finely chopped
- ed smith triple fruit apricot jam
- ed smith triple fruit wildberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually and mix well.
- Add well beaten egg yolk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour and mix well again.
- Shape into balls about the size of a walnut. (don’t be afraid to work the dough with your hands, I find they retain their shape better the more you work the dough).
- Dip in unbeaten egg white, then roll in walnuts.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Dent in the centre with a thimble or tip of a wooden spoon.
- Bake at 350 for five minutes and then dent again.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Fill with jam immediately and move to cooling rack.