Recipe by blisstir
One of the greatest things I learned at college. We always serve in a warm crusty bread bowl, but it is good in any kind of bowl! As wonderful as it is the first day, the second day reaches a new level of goodness. Serve as a meal if you want. Enjoy!
Top Review by Ratalouille
This is a nice thick soup. I used my trusty slow cooker. I keep my vegetables on the chunky side, and I bring the milk and cheeses to room temperature before adding. This has a little bit of a kick to it. The Italian spice was too strong for me, so next time I'll only use 1 tsp. Made this for "Belly Warmers"-2009.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups regular cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons emmeril vegetable dust seasoning
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- more cheese, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 10 ingredients and simmer on low heat for 30-45 mins, until very tender.
- Mash with potato masher until desired consistency.
- Combine milk and flour and slowly add to mixture.
- Add cheese and the rest of the spices.
- Simmer over low heat until cheese melts.
- Stir in beer and allow to heat through.