1/1 Photo of Theresa's Double Tomato Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Found this in Cooking Light (March 2007) Magazine. This recipe was a finalist for Side Dish Category in the Cooking Light Ultimate Reader Recipe Contest. I made this because I had all the ingredients on hand (except for the basil, its winter after all!). Delicious and easy! AND its good for you, taste like there is cream in this soup, not a drop, that is guilt-free perfection!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 10 large basil leaves, divided
- 3 drained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, with herbs
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, garlic, and shallots to pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- 2Add sugar, pepper, salt, and 4 basil leaves, and cook 5 minutes. Add sundried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth, and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- 4Remove from heat. Place half of soup in blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to aviod splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls. Garnish each serving with 1 basil leaf.
- 5(I didn't have fresh basil, so I used dried basil, I can't wait until summer to use fresh basil, even without it was great!).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Theresa's Double Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.2
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 88.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth