Recipe by butterflyday
This is my favorite mac n'cheese. It is simple, flavorful and delicious.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Super creamy and cheesey! The garlic and onion give lots of flavor. The sauce was so cheesey that I had to add a little extra milk to thin it out a bit. I used flower-shaped (or honeycomb-shaped) pasta. The kids and adults loved it. Thanx for sharing this; it's a keeper!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 small diced onion (1/2 cup)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup flour
- 5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 slices American cheese, broken
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter a 13x9 inch pan.
- Cook macaroni until it is al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and cream.
- In a pan on medium heat, melt only 1/2 pound butter.
- Cook onions and garlic until clear, about 6 minutes.
- Add flour and cook/stir for 3 minutes.
- Add cream mixture and mix until smooth.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups of Cheddar cheese, American cheese, and 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until melted.
- It will be thick and creamy --
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir sauce in pasta.
- Pour in a 13x9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar, Parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered, middle shelf for 20 minutes until bubbling and browned on top.