1/1 Photo of The Secret to Making Super Quick, Asian-Style Noodle Soups is To
Happy Hippie's Note:
The secret to making superquick, Asian-style noodle soups is to enliven canned chicken broth with classic Vietnamese flavorings. I came across this recipe on Cooks Illustrated and is a process I will use from here on out. For this soup, be sure to have all the vegetables and herbs ready at hand. As I have not prepared this yet, my prep time and cook time are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch rounds and smashed
- 2 star anise
- 3 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of excess fat)
- table salt
- 4 cups napa cabbage, rinsed and sliced thin crosswise
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thin on an angle
- 1/2 cup loose-packed fresh mint leaves, torn in half if large
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loose-packed
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- lime wedge
- 2Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Off heat, add noodles, and let sit until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and distribute among individual serving bowls.
- 4Bring all ingredients to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer partially covered to blend flavors. Add chicken thighs to the broth and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside; when cool enough to handle, slice thinly. Continue to simmer broth, return to pot; season to taste with additional salt if necessary. Cover and keep hot over low heat.
- 5Assembling the Soup:.
- 6Divide the noodles and cabbage among the bowls.
- 7Add the chicken, then ladle in the broth.
- 8Sprinkle on all other ingredients and serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.
- 9STEP BY STEP: Bruising the aromatics.
- 10Using the handle or back of a chef's knife, smash the ginger, garlic, and lemon grass to release flavor.
- 11STEP BY STEP: Assembling the Soup.
- 12Divide the noodles and sprouts or cabbage among the bowls.
- 13Add the meat, seafood, or chicken, then ladle in the broth.
- 14Sprinkle on the herbs and other flavorings of choice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Secret to Making Super Quick, Asian-Style Noodle Soups is To
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.4
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 1485.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: