Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve this classic Italian dish with thin spaghetti or garlic mashed potatoes. It's very quick and simple to do but everyone will think you did something amazing. Use the best steaks you can for this.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I use the roasted garlic flavor)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces boneless rib-eye steaks, 3/4 inch thick
- granulated garlic
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the oregano, garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice and simmer, squashing the tomatoes with the back of a fork while they're cooking.
- Add wine and cook until reduced and thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Rub steaks with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add steaks to hot pan, cooking about 8 minutes per side for medium. Cook to desired doneness.
- Cut steaks into thick strips and divide among 4 plates.
- Pour sauce into saute pan to deglaze, scraping any bits up from bottom of pan. Pour sauce over steak.
This was a nice dinner. The sauce came together quickly and easily. I served on pasta but think potatoes as suggested by the chef as well would be better. The tomato sauce overwhelmed the steak flavor somewhat so will probably use a less expensive cut of meat when making it next time.
Although I don't usually do steaks anymore, I made this recipe for overnight company that we had & it was a definite hit! The only thing I changed was to use lemon pepper in place of the usual S&P! Also used the diced tomatoes with roasted garlic! I might just have to start including recipes like this in my cooking schedule! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe tag]