Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Everyday with Rachel Ray August 2009
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers
- 1⁄3 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (about 1/3 palmful)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling (EVOO)
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- thinly sliced bell pepper, red onions, tomatoes and hot fresh chiles, for garnish
- Using a food processor, puree the roasted peppers, cucumber, feta, yogurt, garlic and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, onion, chili powder, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Form into four 4-inch patties. In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium.
- Place a romaine leaf and a patty on each roll bottom and top with the garnishes. Slather the sauce on the roll tops and set in place.
Sounds great! Will make soon and add fresh basil to lamb before cooking.