1/2 Photos of The Fish Market Au Gratin Potatoes
I came to the Bay Area CA in 1975 and the first Fish Market was opened on El Camino Real in Palo Alto CA the next year in 1976. It was only 5 minutes from work and I started going to the Fish Market often for lunch. The second Fish Market was opened in early 80's also in my neighborhood, Santa Clara. Since then, they have expanded to the Socal area. I've always loved their seafood selection. So fresh, but I also loved few other offerings such as this Au Gratin Potatoes, coleslaw and cheezy garlic bread (I posted the recipe here on food.com). This recipe comes from their own cookbook. The alternate use of olive oil is my own method I use in making this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the unpeeled potatoes, poke about 6-8 holes with a fork and bake 45 minutes in 375F oven for small to small/medium potatoes. For the bigger potatoes increase the baking time. They are done when you can easily pierce through the potato with a thin skewer.
- 2Remove from oven, cool a bit and peel. Slice the peeled potatoes into about half inch slices and set aside.
- 3Melt the butter or olive oil on low heat in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook without browning for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the milk quickly.
- 4When the sauce is smooth return to the stove and cook over medium heat for about 18-20 minutes stirring until it is thicker, about the consistency of cream. Do not burn.
- 5Add 80% of the cheese and stir until smooth. Add cooked potatoes, salt, and pepper and fold all together.
- 6Pour into a serving casserole and sprinkle the remaining 20% of cheese over the top along with paprika.
- 7Bake in 375 F oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Fish Market Au Gratin Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.0
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 54.4 mg
- Sodium 466.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 10.9 g