Prep 0 mins
Cook 14 mins
A bit darker than most due to its dark brown sugar, this cookie retains its crisp texture even when raisins are added. Solid and sturdy, it's a good traveler.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts)
- Prehead the oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, butter, sugar, egg, water, extracts, spices, salt and baking soda.
- Stir in the oats, then the flour.
- Add the raisins and nuts last, and stir to combine.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonful onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 14 minutes, or until they're a light golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.