Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This recipe is so good and so easy that I always assumed it was on Zaar. But search as I might, I just couldn't find it here. Not only is it easy, it is delicious and makes your house smell amazing! :) It turns out so tender that you can cut it with a fork. If you would like to make it a meal, add a can each of carrots, potatoes, green beans and/or corn about an hour before serving.
- Place roast in a large crock pot.
- Squirt or spread a thin layer of mustard over the roast.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix on top.
- Cook 8 hours on low (8 hours on high if roast is frozen).
- OPTIONAL GRAVY: Strain the fat off the liquid and discard fat.
- Place reserved liquid in a sauce pan and bring to a slight boil.
- Add cornstarch to the water and make a paste.
- Add paste to the reserved liquid and whisk until thickened.
- NOTE: Do not add water to this - it will effectively "steam" the roast and make it tougher. Believe it or not, this will make its own liquid.
Yum! My teenage son made this for supper today, and it was easy and delicious. We used a pork roast instead of beef, and as written, we thickened the juice for gravy. We served it on large flour tortillas rolled up burrito-style, and dipped them in the gravy. So tasty. No leftovers!
Both myself and my DH love this recipe. At first I wasn't sure when I came back to the crockpot an hour later and there was no liquid and I was worried the onion soup mix that fell off the pot roast was going to burn but I trusted the recipe and ignored it (aka came back several hours later and saw the liquid) and it was amazing! My DH wants me to make it again soon. It so easily fell apart that I had to be careful transferring it to the plate!<br/><br/>I followed the directions EXCEPT I didn't measure the mustard (just squirted it on top of the pot roast and spread it with the back of a spoon) and it was 'kept warm' in the crockpot for an hour after the time finished.
Really good roast! I wanted something quick to make in the crock pot before heading off to the beach for the day and this recipe was QUICK! I did add a few potatoes, some onion and carrots. Cooked on low for 10 hours and it didn't dry out. Thanks for posting.