Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a meal that will wow any cheese lover AND it doesn't have a drop of real cheese in it! You will not believe how creamy and cheesy this casserole is! And it's packed with lots of veggies and protein to boot! I developed it for my lactose-intolerant hubby and we both love it! The cheese even strings like it is real! Reheats like a dream!
- 1 1⁄4 pre-cooked cold diced chicken breasts (leftover chicken works great)
- 1 cup water
- 1 low-sodium chicken bouillon cube (or reg if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon adobo seasoning (less for lower sodium)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (or soy creamer)
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- 1 cup veggie shreds soy cheese (cheddar, use this specific type of veggie cheese for best results)
- 1 cup veggie shreds soy cheese (mozzarella)
- 3 average sized mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, cuts
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper (I like fresh ground pepper and use about 15 grinds in my casserole)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Stir in bouillon and remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add chicken.
- Slowly stir in mayo.
- Add sugar, flour and spices.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 1/4 cup soy milk or creamer.
- Fold in egg noodles, Veggie Shreds, mushrooms, broccoli, peas, carrots corn and eggs (In that order).
- Add pepper and salt (to taste).
- Pour entire mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot with a salad for a complete and filling low-fat delicious "cheesy" meal that even your lactose- intolerant family members can enjoy-- This casserole really tastes and melts like it is made with real cheese!
This was rich, creamy, chock full of veggies, and very tasty. This was indeed very cheesy despite containing only soy cheese. I was unable to get the Veggie Shreds soy cheese, but instead used Veggie Slices(same product but in sliced form) soy cheese and finely diced it - this worked out just fine. I used 2 poached chicken beasts. (Also - there is a misprint in step 9 where it says 1/4 cup creamer, I believe she means the soy milk.) This would be a nice dish to bring to a potluck.