Recipe by Sharon123
A recipe from 3ABN, this is a great vegan cheese sauce and can be frozen too!
Top Review by Sharon T.
I cannot have cow cheese and have missed cheezy recipes for years. This vegan cheese sauce has given me back cheese. It is great for several reasons, the chief being that you can freeze it and use it a little at a time. It clings to my spelt elbows just like cheese. And i actually like it better cold than i do hot. Sometimes, i just grab a teaspoon and eat a few teaspoons right out of the fridge. Satisfies the urge for cheesy stuff. I do a lot of vegee stir fry and a few tablespoons of cheezie sauce is awesome. I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch in case anyone is interested.
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 3⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 large red pepper (or 1 small jar of pimento)
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 3⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 7 1⁄2 cups water, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients in a blender, using only 4 cups of the water. Blend until well mixed.
- Bring the remaining 3 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in blended ingredients with a wire whisk. Continue stirring until the mixture has thickened.
- To freeze this cheese for later use, don't boil the 3 1/2 cups of water but stir the 3 1/2 cups water into the mixture from the blender. Using a cup measure, pour into freezer bags and store in the freezer. This can be taken out and used as needed. Just thaw and heat until thickened.