Recipe by ozzygirl
I obtained most of the ingredients from another recipe website. I added my own mix to it...and they are without a doubt, the best tuna patties I have ever made! You can bake them rather than frying them for a healthier choice. Makes around 8 large patties.
- 2 -3 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegemite, Promite or 1 tablespoon stock, powder
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 100 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (275 g) can corn kernels
- 1 (425 g) can tuna
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes either in a microwave or on a stove top. While they're boiling chop the onions and fry them in olive oil until soft. Add Promite or Vegemite or stock and mixed herbs, stirring until the ingredients have blended together. Then add the carrot and corn kernels, frying for a further two minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220C (428F). Strain potatoes and mash. Add the ingredients from the frying pan and mix with a fork.
- Strain the tuna and add it to the mix, along with the eggs and the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all in and let the mixture sit for up to an hour.
- Form the mixture into 8-12 flat patties and roll them in the breadcrumbs. Place them on a lightly oiled baking tray, then turn them over so there's a little oil on both sides.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then turn and bake for a further 10-15 minutes. The tuna patties should be slightly brown on both sides when they're ready.
- The patties can alternatively be fried in a pan or on the barbecue for a tasty, albeit slightly less healthy quick meal. Baking them in the oven gives a very crisp outer shell with a soft centre.