1/2 Photos of The Best Potato-Sausage-Cabbage Soup
1 hr 15 mins
My mom has cooked this as long as I can remember- I don't know where the recipe started. She sent me to college with the recipe and after 15 years I've not been able to top it. Recipe requests come after every serving. It is even better the second day, but it normally doesn't last that long in our house! A perfect comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown the sausage in a large skillet.
- 2Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and leave drippings and browned bits in the pan.
- 3Chop celery, cabbage and onion. Cook in the grease from the sausage until soft (10-15 minutes).
- 4Transfer the cooked sausage and cabbage mixture to a large soup kettle.
- 5Add the water, chicken bouillon and hash browns and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- 6Mix the milk, sour cream and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- 7Add the milk mixture to the soup and simmer 10 more minutes.
- 8**My Mom's original recipe called for 5 cups of water and that never seemed to be enough when I made it. If you stick between 5-7 cups you can make the soup as thick or thin as you would like. Well, maybe not thin! Making this soup thin and brothy would be a crime!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Potato-Sausage-Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.1
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 1072.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 18.1 g