Recipe by Jostlori
This is a great recipe I found on Allrecipes.com by Ann Richardson. One of the easiest and best key lime pies I've ever made! Since I live in Costa Rica, key limes or sour cream aren't easy to come by. I substitute Natilla (a type of creme fraiche) for the sour cream and Mandarinas (a very sour mandarin-type orange) for the limes. I don't know if it's the heat and humidity here, but I have to bake it for 10-12 minutes to get the pinhole bubbles. But I've left the recipe as Ann wrote it, in case that's what it takes in more moderate weather... Sometimes, I'll add a topping made with natilla, a bit of mandarina juice, and powdered sugar. It is quite tasty! Prep time includes time to zest and juice the limes. Thanks, Ann!!!
Top Review by twissis
I've had this recipe saved to make for a long time, but admit I found & esp liked a no-cook recipe so much that my "trial plan" didn't happen. The no-cook recipe used Cool Whip (hard to find here & now no longer imported). KL pie is a DH fave, so this was made as a trial for a game nite w/friends who also favour KL pie. I made the recipe as written except for using pre-cooked tartlet shells & adding green food colouring. The recipe made 15 tartlets & the lime flavour was excellent. Besides the cook method, the other diff was that the no-cook version was mousse in texture (as you'd expect) & this was cheesecake in texture. As this was a 1st try, I'm unsure if my judgment of cook time may have been a factor. This is an easy-fix, I'm grateful for this option & DH is happy too. :-)
- 9 inches graham cracker crust (homemade or storebought)
- 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, grated
- lime slices and whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 celsius).
- In medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest. Mix well and pour into crust.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of the pie. DO NOT BROWN!
- Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.