Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
At least we think so, and that is all that matters. :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter or 1 1⁄4 cups margarine, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter (must be butter)
- 1 1⁄2 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mixing well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in vanilla and walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for icing, melt butter and chocolate.
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add half the powdered sugar; mix well.
- Add milk, vanilla and remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread immediately over warm brownies.
I did not care for this recipe at all. I ended up with brownies with a thick crunchy crust on top, and raw batter underneath. I don't usually have problems with uneven cooking in my oven, so I have to attribute it to the recipe. Plus, the brownies that were cooked more around the edges of the pan tasted more like a dense chocolate cake than the chewy fudgy brownies that I prefer. Definitely not a keeper for me.
Just wonderful. Fudgy and rich, these will take the place of the recipe that stopped working when we moved out of high altitude. I cooked them in a 13 X 9 pan since I like them thick, I had to cook about 50 min, but they were absolute perfection.
I wasn't a big fan of this recipe. I don't think I would make this again