1/3 Photos of The Best Crispy French-Fries
This is not so much a recipe as it is technique. Get ready for some of the best fries you've ever eaten! The oregano is a must, IMHO, but if you haven't got it, do without. Your loss.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, cover the potatoes with water.
- 2In a deep fryer fitted with a basket or a heavy medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 340°F.
- 3Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Add half the potatoes to the oil and cook until they begin to blister and turn golden, about 15 minutes.
- 5Shake up the basket every once in a while (not too often – especially in the beginning when the fries are still soft), or run a fork through the saucepan to make sure fries are not sticking together.
- 6Spread the fries on paper towels to drain and cool.
- 7Repeat with remaining fries.
- 8(Fries can be made to this point up to 4 hours in advance of serving).
- 9Heat the oil to 375°F.
- 10Add a quarter of the fries and cook until browned and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 11Drain on paper towels and repeat with remaining fries.
- 12Sprinkle with sea salt and some oregano.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Crispy French-Fries
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g