Classic French Fries
photo by Sandi From CA
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil to 320 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and EVENLY cut fries into 1/4" x 1/4" strips of equal length.
- Place in a large bowl of cold water as you're slicing.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water.
- When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil.
- Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy.
- Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.
- Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees.
- Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on roasting rack.
- Season with kosher salt.
- Once again this is done is small batches and will need to be kept warm in the oven until all potatoes are fried.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were so good. After the blanching I put them in a bowl and sprinkled a bunch of seasoned salt. I wasn't sure if it would stay on during the frying but it did. My only problem was that I couldn't find my thermometer so I was guessing about the temp, next time I will make sure I have my thermometer. And there will be a next time.