Recipe by BecR
These are the BEST! I've been making this recipe for over 20 years now, and it's always a HIT with my family and friends! Great for BBQ's, potlucks, camping etc. Can be made in the oven or in the crockpot, and it freezes and reheats well.
Top Review by NYAmy
I made these for a Fourth of July BBQ. They were a big hit! SO DELICIOUS! I only used 1/4 cup of each of the sugars and they were still very sweet. This has become a family favorite. Thank you BecR!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (round or sirloin)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Hunt's original or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Coleman's)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (do not add any salt)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown beef, bacon and onion in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Pour into two (1 1/2- quart each) buttered baking dishes.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness (do not stir---a nice chewy, crispy crust will form, which is my favorite part--yum!).
- Alternatively, place in a buttered crock pot and heat on low for about 4 hours, uncover during the last hour of cooking if you like your beans thick.
- Freezes/reheats well.