These are the BEST! I've been making this recipe for over 20 years now, and it's always a HIT with my family and friends! Great for BBQ's, potlucks, camping etc. Can be made in the oven or in the crockpot, and it freezes and reheats well.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef (round or sirloin)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Hunt's original or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Coleman's)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (do not add any salt)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown beef, bacon and onion in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Pour into two (1 1/2- quart each) buttered baking dishes.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness (do not stir---a nice chewy, crispy crust will form, which is my favorite part--yum!).
- Alternatively, place in a buttered crock pot and heat on low for about 4 hours, uncover during the last hour of cooking if you like your beans thick.
- Freezes/reheats well.