1/2 Photos of The Best Cowboy-Calico Beans
1 hr 20 mins
These are the BEST! I've been making this recipe for over 20 years now, and it's always a HIT with my family and friends! Great for BBQ's, potlucks, camping etc. Can be made in the oven or in the crockpot, and it freezes and reheats well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef (round or sirloin)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Hunt's original or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Coleman's)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (do not add any salt)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Brown beef, bacon and onion in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- 3Add beans and remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- 4Pour into two (1 1/2- quart each) buttered baking dishes.
- 5Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness (do not stir---a nice chewy, crispy crust will form, which is my favorite part--yum!).
- 6Alternatively, place in a buttered crock pot and heat on low for about 4 hours, uncover during the last hour of cooking if you like your beans thick.
- 7Freezes/reheats well.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Best Cowboy-Calico Beans
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.8
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 736.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 12.6 g