Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
this is from the McCall's cooking school cookbook and is exactly the taste you're looking for when you want chocolate frosting!
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 cup butter
- 1 -2 cup unsifted powdered sugar, to taste
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in a metal bowl placed over hot water in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
- Stir constantly until chips and butter are fully melted.
- Add light cream and stir until fully mixed and very warm.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar [i use much less and find this is sweet enough].
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Note that - at this point - you could make this into a fudge -.
- Remove from refrigerator and beat for 5 minutes or more, until the volume has increased and the color is much lighter.
- Frost any cake.
- This is very good on Crazy Lazy Cake.
This reminded me of the base of my favorite recipe for chocolate mousse, without the eggs. I guess my friends got the same impression, because they kept asking, "Is there pudding in this?" It was chocolately, but I thought the butter flavor dominated (which makes sense if you look at the proportions). I was kind of wanting something a bit darker, but my friends liked this so much I have to give it 5 stars.