Recipe by Ameliahead
This is essentially the recipe on a box of Chex, adjusted to my taste. I like extra seasoning, a kick from hot sauce, and a few other adjustments. I also leave out the bagel chips; they just don't seem very Chex Mix-y to me.
Top Review by Sigma28
Good chex mix with a bit of a kick -- I used half the amount of hot sauce (Frank's) and the lesser amount of seasoning salt (Tony's) so I could give it as gifts for a variety of people's taste preferences. Used peanuts instead of mixed nuts, Rold Gold cheddar tiny twist pretzels, and added a cup of goldfish crackers to each batch.
When I make this for DH and me, I will use the full amount of hot sauce and seasoning salt and probably double the seasonings for a really bold blend .
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups small pretzels (I use the sticks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.
- Bake one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.