1/2 Photos of The Barefoot Contessa's Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 40 mins
A classic from the Barefoot Contessa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Place the chicken in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, reserving enough thyme to garnish the chicken dish, 1 lemon, halved, and 2 halves of the garlic.
- 3Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Cut 2 of the lemons in quarters and scatter the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Lay the bacon slices over the chicken to cover.
- 4Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Remove the bacon slices from the top of the chicken and set aside. Continue roasting the chicken for an additional 1/2 hour, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Be sure to cook thoroughly. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil while you prepare the gravy.
- 5Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the bottom of the pan. Add the wine and chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- 6Slice the chicken on a platter. Garnish the chicken platter with the bacon slices, roasted garlic, reserved thyme and 1 lemon, sliced. Serve with the gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Barefoot Contessa's Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 829.7
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 214.7 mg
- Sodium 551.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 49.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: