Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A classic from the Barefoot Contessa.
Make and share this The Barefoot Contessa's Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, reserving enough thyme to garnish the chicken dish, 1 lemon, halved, and 2 halves of the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Cut 2 of the lemons in quarters and scatter the quarters and remaining garlic around the chicken. Lay the bacon slices over the chicken to cover.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Remove the bacon slices from the top of the chicken and set aside. Continue roasting the chicken for an additional 1/2 hour, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Be sure to cook thoroughly. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil while you prepare the gravy.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the bottom of the pan. Add the wine and chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Slice the chicken on a platter. Garnish the chicken platter with the bacon slices, roasted garlic, reserved thyme and 1 lemon, sliced. Serve with the gravy.
VERY easy and VERY full of flavor. This is a recipe I will use time and time again! I even invited people over to eat it...I don't cook for people! LOL
I didn't actually have this (my mother made it when I wasn't at home) so I'm rating it on behalf of my family : they all loved it!
Yum! I had a craving for roasted chiken, and wanted to try something new, too. This was wonderful. The breast meat was moist and tender, and the skin was a beautiful golden brown. I may thicken the gravy a bit more next time, it was a little runny, but tasted great. I used a 4.5 pound chicken, removed the bacon after thirty minutes, and continued to roast for about 18 more minutes. Thanks for posting a great recipe!