Lemon, Sage and Garlic Roast Chicken
photo by Southern Sugar Dumplin
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slide fingertips under chicken skin to loosen.
- Arrange 2 lemon slices and 3 sage leaves (or some rubbed sage) under skin on each breast.
- Smooth skin over to close.
- Place chicken in shallow baking pan.
- Brush with oil.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon lemon juice over each breast.
- Sprinkle with chopped garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup broth into pan around chicken.
- Roast chicken until brown and cooked through, basting once or twice with pan juices, About 25 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter.
- Place baking pan atop burner.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth.
- Using back of fork, mash the garlic on the baking pan into broth and pan juices.
- Boil over high heat until broth reduces almost to glaze, scraping up browned bits, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful combination of flavors for a roasted chicken. We brined a whole, 7-lb chicken, and roasted it for about 1 hour, 15 minutes, and it was absolutely to die for (as was the chicken stock we made from the bones). Made the recipe exactly as directed, and it was absolutely superb. We'll make this often - thanks, Barb!
Delicious garlic flavor and juicy chicken. I, too, used a whole chicken and inserted garlic slices into slits in the flesh since we don't eat the skin. The lemon flavor did permeate the flesh just by laying the slices between the skin and flesh. Next time I'll add more sage - I used small leaves and it could have been more strongly flavored. I didn't make the sauce as the pan juices from a whole chicken were quite greasy.
Was the best roast chicken I've even cooked! Made with a whole chicken instead, and drizzled oil on top of the chicken using it to rub the garlic over the skin. Also cooked at 410 degrees (210C)for the first 1/2 hr, then redueced to 350 (180C) for another 45 mins or so, with the breast down for the first 15 mins.