Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
with cilantro, mint, lime and peanuts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb beef tenderloin, with sinew and fat trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup skinless roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄8 cup mint leaf, stems removed and large leaves torn in half
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaf, roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- rub oil all over beef and lightly season it with salt and pepper. let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- heat a heavy skillet or grill pan. sear beef over high heat until the outside is a dark brown, then remove from pan and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- meanwhile, for the dressing, grind red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, lime zest, and brown sugar in a mortar, until it is a paste. add lime juice, fish sauce and soy sauce; mix thoroughly.
- slice beef thinly against the grain and place the slices in a bowl with the shallots, half of the peanuts, and most of the mint and cilantro leaves. pour all of the dressing over the beef mixture and gently toss together.
- to serve, divide lettuce leaves between 2 plates and then place beef salad on top. scatter remaining peanuts and herbs on top.