Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is really delicious! I make this one when I get tired of all the ordinary, every day type meals.
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups short-grain rice
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 lb shelled deveined shrimp
- In 4qt saucepan, on high heat, combine coconut milk,rice,and 3/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover,and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut peel and membrane from grapefruit.
- Cut between fruit and membrane to release segments into a bowl.
- In a 12in skillet mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Add soy sauce,vinegar,and ginger.
- Stir on high heat until boiling.
- Add shrimp and stir until shrimp are opaque (3 minutes).
- Add grapefruit segments.
- Heat through.
- Mound rice equally on 4 plates.
- Spoon shrimp and grapefruit mixture over rice.
A very sweet dish. I think next time I will drain the shrimp and grapefruit of most of the sauce before putting it on the rice, because the syrup became a little too cloying. Other than that, the recipe is delicious, thanks!
We halved the brown sugar (1/4 cup) and served it with broccoli (any bitter green would be nice). A nice meal!
I should have known better. Just by reading the recipe I should have figured out this would be very sweet. It was far too sweet for my taste. The shrimp was overpowered by the sweetness. In order to be "sticky" the sugar is needed. It is a good recipe but just not for my taste.