Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The New York Times.
Make and share this Thai Soft-Shell Crabs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce or 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 Thai chiles, seeded and minced
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, minced
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, minced
- Combine the milk and Tabasco in a bowl. Set aside. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow pan. Dip the crabs in the milk and dredge in flour mixture. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Place the crabs in pan and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook until tender, about 2 more minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain the fat from the pan. Return the skillet to the stove. Add the wine, lime juice, chilies and scallions. Turn the heat up to medium-high and simmer until sauce reduces to 1/3 cup, about 3 to 5 minutes. Place two crabs on each of four plates. Drizzle with sauce and garnish with minced mint, basil and coriander leaves.