Recipe by katie in the UP
Saw this recipe on Rachael Ray's program on Food Network. Love any recipes for salads that doesn't use mayo. Travels well!!
Top Review by rosslare
Really an outstanding thai slaw, with few modifications on the second go to suit our tastes. I used more vinegar and honey, and fish sauce instead of soy. The basil on top was ok, but mint and coriander would go well, too. Handful of peanuts topped it off nicely. Happy now.
- 1 (16 ounce) shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix)
- 1⁄4 seedless European cucumber, sliced thin (I used 1/2)
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (I've also used green ones, whatever I have on hand)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I use my micro plane)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine veggies in a bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in a small plastic container and shake well for 1 minute.
- Drizzle sauce over veggies and toss to coat evenly. Let stand 10 minutes and re toss before serving and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.