Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Some of you might have tried this dessert in a Thai restaurant.
- 1 1⁄2 cups glutinous rice
- 6 tablespoons thick coconut cream
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large sweet mangoes, sliced into large strips
- To make the sticky rice, refer to my sticky rice recipe, which I have also posted.
- Season the coconut cream with some salt and refrigerate it.
- Dissolve sugar and salt in coconut milk.
- Mix and stir the coconut milk with the warm sticky rice and let it stands for 30 mins.
- To serve, place some mango strips over a large scoop of sticky rice mixture and add some coconut cream over the top.
Made this the other night after a dinner of spicey curry- this was just the thing. The family loved it. I didn't have any coconut cream so omitted that. I also lacked the mango so I served with choice of toppings: DH liked the toasted coconut, DS#1 liked the crushed pineapple with juice and I preferred the chopped banana in lime juice. Mangos are a definate must for the next time I make this easy, tastey dish.
Should have included rice prep in recipe here. Something as simple as soak and steam should not require an additional search, even though its easy enough to find. Spelling of recipe for this recipe is different than in the plain rice recipe #10876.
Thanks for the tip of using boiling water to speed up the process in recipe #10876 #10876! I decided last minute to make a sticky rice dessert using a combination of both black and white glutinous rice (gao nep than & gao nep thuong hang) which gives you a purple rice to serve the mango and strawberries over and moreover gives a great colorful presentation! Thanks, it'd been a while since I'd cooked sticky rice, your directions for the dessert were spot on. I used splenda for the sweetener to cut down on the sugars a little.Â