Prep 3 hrs 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is really flavorful and juicy roast chicken. Even my husband, who is growing tired of chicken, picks the bird clean when I make this one. From Fine Cooking, #22. Marinating time included in the prep time.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped lemongrass (3 or 4 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a nonreactive dish large enough to hold the chicken, combine all but 2 Tbs. of the lemongrass with all of the shallots, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, and sugar. Add the chicken and turn it to coat, tucking some of the marinade underneath its skin. Pour any excess marinade into the bird’s cavity. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking it.
- Heat the oven to 350°F Put the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Cook for 40 minute Turn the bird over and roast until the chicken is cooked and nicely browned, 20 to 30 minute The sugar in the marinade may cause the pan juices to burn, but this won’t affect the chicken’s flavor.
- About 10 minute before the chicken is done, combine the remaining 2 Tbs. lemongrass with the cilantro and vegetable oil. Using a spoon, rub the mixture on the bird, spreading it evenly; continue roasting. The chicken is done when its juices run clear. Let the chicken sit for 10 minute out of the oven before carving.
This is my favorite recipe n I have made it 7 times. Always marinate it overnight. Every time I make it I enjoyed it. Sometimes I fry it on the pan, sometimes I slow bake it at 275 for 2.5 hrs n sometimes I grill it. All turn out delish. This is a superstar recipe can't fail n so healthy. Love shallots garlic lemongrass. I didn't add crushed pepper as I couldn't have it but still turn out superb n I am sure if I add it it would have been ever better with a spicy kick. This is my twice a month must have chicken. Sometimes I make it everyweek.
I made this with chicken breast and thighs and it turned out great. highly recommend this as the sauces gets into the smaller pieces of meat a little more. so so flavorful!
Anyone tried this with chicken pieces? If so how long would you cook it for?