Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just love a good curry. The secret, in my opinion, is the best curry paste you can find so if you have a local Asian grocer that stocks a homemade paste buy it! This recipe is extremely flexible in terms of the veggies or meat you add. Other yummy ingredients would be red peppers, mushrooms, a bit of eggplant or beef instead of chicken.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 100 g green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 (225 g) can bamboo shoots
- 1 red chile, trimmed and sliced
- 250 g fresh pineapple, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 250 g basmati rice
- coarsely chopped coriander, to garnish
- Heat a large frying pan or wok and add the cooking oil, curry paste and three tablespoons of coconut milk.
- Stir-fry for a couple minutes, then add the garlic, chilli and shallots.
- Fry another 2-3 minutes then add the meat and cook until it is coloured on all sides.
- Add the bruised lemon grass to the pan along with the beans, fish sauce and the rest of the coconut milk.
- Lower the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice at the end.
- While the curry is simmering, wash the rice and place it in a pot with three times as much water (about 750ml).
- Boil, then take the heat down to low, cover and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the rice without taking off the lid for another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the bamboo shoots, a bit of coriander and pineapple.
- Heat through and serve over rice, garnished with another sprinkle of coriander.
Thank you for excellent recipe! One remark though: 1 chile is really too much, if you are not seasoned enough for really spicy food, you'd better not put any, as the paste is enough hot itself. I had to add more coconut milk to my plate in the end to make it milder. Other, it is really delicious.